Online Psychiatrist for Anxiety Treatment in O’Fallon MO
Anxiety is a feeling of fear, dread, and uneasiness. Early diagnosis and treatment of anxiety disorder led to the most favorable outcome. Trust the experienced board-certified psychiatric nurse practitioner, Farah Shaddix at Reliable Mental Health for the support and care you are looking for. Book an online consultation today. Serving O’Fallon MO, and surrounding areas!
Table of Contents:
Anxiety disorders, the most prevalent category of mental illness in the U.S., affects 40 million adult Americans and teens. Anxiety disorders occur more frequently in women as opposed to men and can begin as early as childhood. There are ten different types of anxiety disorders, but all center around excessive, irrational worry that interferes with daily life and lasts for six months.
Anxiety disorders make simple tasks seem complicated.
People with anxiety often think they’re being watched, followed, or threatened by others, even when there’s no real danger. They may feel like they’re in trouble all the time or that something terrible is about to happen. They might also avoid going out because they’re afraid of what might happen or what people will think. These thoughts can cause intense physical reactions, like feeling sick to your stomach, shaking, or having trouble breathing normally.
Anxiety disorders are categorized by their symptoms. The two most common categories are:
• Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). A person with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) has excessive anxiety and worry that is not focused on any object or situation.
• Phobias. Phobias are classified as irrational fear or aversion to a specific object or situation that causes panic-like symptoms when a person is exposed to it. Common phobias include a fear of heights, closed-in places, or public speaking.
Other classification systems for anxiety disorders include:
• Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
• Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
• Social anxiety disorder
• Panic disorder
• Separation anxiety disorder
• Non-specific anxiety disorder.
• Selective mutism.
Mental illness is a generic term for various disorders that can cause severe disruption to your life, as well as disruptions to the lives of those around you. Despite what you may have heard or seen on television, there is no “official list” of mental illnesses, but instead, various classifications and categories have been created over time by the medical community. Mental health professionals often use these diagnostic criteria when diagnosing a patient. However, it’s important to note that not everyone who exhibits symptoms of mental illness will be diagnosed as such — only those who meet the criteria set forth by their doctor will receive a diagnosis.
The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) is published by the American Psychiatric Association (APA) and is considered the standard reference tool for identifying mental disorders. For example, since symptoms of anxiety disorders are listed in the DSM, anxiety disorders are classified as mental illnesses.
Common Symptoms of Anxiety Disorders listed in the DSM:
• Feeling overly worried, anxious, or frightened
• Feeling tense or jumpy
• Not wanting to leave your home
• Avoiding situations in which you would have to face a crowd or public speaking
• Avoiding driving
• Having difficulty sleeping
• Feeling irritable or restless
The types of people who are likely to struggle with anxiety include:
• Anyone with a family history of anxiety disorder
• Anyone with a history of physical or sexual abuse
• Those who have experienced traumatic events, such as military combat, car accidents, natural disasters, or violent crimes
Anxiety disorders can be challenging to manage, but there are several resources you can turn to for help.
We offer anxiety treatment that is tailored to each individual case. Through our anxiety screening process, we can help unlock everything from the need for a panic disorder treatment to generalized anxiety. Seeking anxiety help online is a wonderful thing. The people of Missouri can trust Reliable Mental Health with any anxiety issues.
If anxiety disrupts your life and creates challenges in your day-to-day living and quality of life and you’re looking for a bit of assistance, don’t be afraid to contact the mental health professionals Farah Shaddix, MSN, RN, PMHNP-BC at Reliable Mental Health. Finding the right treatment plan and support system for your needs can make all the difference in the world. The feeling of relief and peace of mind that comes from having your symptoms under control is well worth the hard work it will take you to get there. We serve patients from O’Fallon MO, Osage Beach MO, Kansas City MO, Springfield, MO, Chesterfield MO, St. Louis MO, St. Charles MO, St. Peters MO, Wentzville MO and surrounding areas!
Learn more about different types of Anxiety Disorders and how Reliable Mental Health can help:
• Panic Disorder
• Generalized Anxiety Disorder
• Social Anxiety Disorder
• Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
• Separation Anxiety Disorder
• Post Traumatic Stress Disorder PTSD